Here Are Some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What is a "dealer locator"?
A dealer locator is a tool on your website that helps your site's visitors find your locations near them. The simply enter a zipcode in a box on your Web page, and a list of your locations pops up displaying the closest location first.
Q: Who would use it?
Here are some examples:
- Example #1
- You're a sporting goods retailer and you have 12 stores in two states. Someone wants to find one of your stores near them. They come to your website; type in their zip code, and click the FIND button. Immediately, they see a list of your stores with the store's address, phone number, store hours and a link to a map. Plus, the closest store is listed first.
- Example #2
- You're a manufacturer of a line of specialty skin care products and your line is carried by 125 hair salons across the country. Someone wants to find your products near them. They come to your website; type in their zip code and click the FIND button. Immediately, they see a list of salons that carry your products with each salon's address, phone number, store hours and a link to a map. And the closest salon is listed first
- Example #3
- You have nationwide army of independant distributors. Someone wants to find a distributor near them. They come to your website; type in their zip code and click the FIND button. Immediately, they see a list of distributors that carry your products with each distributors city and state, phone number, and email address. with the closest distributor listed first
- Example #4
- You create art for a living. You travel around your region to art fairs selling your items. Someone wants to find out when your creations will be at an art fair near them. They come to your website; type in their zip code and click the FIND button. Immediately, they see a list of art fairs that you will be attending, with each art fair's location, contact phone number, dates, hours, distance from them, and a link to a map with driving direction. The closest art fair listed first
- Example #5
- You run a professional association. You have a nationwide network of member. Someone wants to find a member located near them. They come to your website; type in their zip code and click the FIND button. Immediately, they see a list of members, some with addresses and website URLs, and all with email and phone numbers, with the closest member listed first
Q: Why do I need a dealer locator?
Because websites are a powerful tool to drive business to your locations. It also reminds your customer about the "bricks" part of your "bricks & clicks" business. For more info on the value of a dealer locator see what the research of the "not-free" competition uncovered.
Q: What is FreeDealerLocator.com?
If your business has locations that you want to publicize on the Web, FreeDealerLocator.com creates a helpful online locator. Your customers can find your nearest location anywhere in the U.S. So whether you have offices, stores, retailers, installation or events, customers can find them on your website, quickly and easily.
Q: How much does it cost?
It's absolutely FREE if you have 10 or fewer locations. If you have more than ten locations our membership plans are well priced. Click here for more details.
Q: Can I add Canadian postal codes?
You bet! Canadian postal codes are included with the Platinum Membership and can be added to any membership for just $99 dollars per year.
Q: I have thousands of locations. Will this affect the performance?
Our servers are very fast. The example on the main page has 1100 locations and it's still very fast.
Q: How can you charge so little?
We've kidnapped several very good programmers and keep them on a subsistence diet of Mountain Dew (we spike it with Red Bull when we need a little extra performance). Actually, our business model is very scalable. This allows our size to exactly match our customers' needs which in turn controls costs.
Q: Can I get your service without ads?
That feature is not available in our Free membership, only our Silver, Gold and Platinum memberships.
Q: Is there a way to upload a large list of locations?
Yes. We call this "bulk uploads." This can be a complicated procedure, so we handle all bulk uploads for you. We will upload any number of locations for a flat fee of $49.95 (membership packages have from 1 to 5 bulk uploads included). All we ask is that you email us either a comma or tab delimited file, or an Excel spreadsheet, with all the neccesary information in individual fields. Here's and sample Excel document. - We'll take care of it from there.
Still have questions regarding bulk uploads? Please contact us here.
Q: Is it hard to set up my free dealer locator?
It's a simple three step process: We have two methods. One for html programmers and one for anyone else. If you can create a hyperlink on a web page you can set it up.
Q: How do you use each of the two methods?
Both methods require you to enter your locator preferences and locations. After doing this, click on the "Generate Locator Code" button in the Control Panel. The code for both methods will be dispayed on that page.
The Quick Link code is simply a URL that can be added to any web page as a hyperlink or even simply pasted into an email. This will link to an customized search box displaying your page title. If you are not familiar with adding hyperinks to a Web page, a simple HTML tutor is available at Webmonkey.
For the slightly more adventurous or the HTML savvy, the Advanced HTML method allows you to put the search box right onto your page. Simply copy all the code inside the Advanced HTML area and paste it into your HTML document at the location where you want your search box to appear. Very simple, very easy.
Q: Can I customize the appearance of my dealer locator?
With the arrival of FDL Version 2.0, you can now apply Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) to your locator.
Q: How do I apply Cascading Style Sheets to my locator?
Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) are simple text files that assign various attributes to elements of a Web page. Within the code that FDL 2.0 generates for you there is two hidden input tags located about two third down the page. They look like this:
Simply replace the default URL to the URL of your chosen style sheet (e.g. change "http://www.freedealerlocator.com/styles/default.css" to "http://www.mywebsite.com/css/cool.css"). The CSS library will eventually have a good selection of CSS files. See http://www.freedealerlocator.com/styles/black.css as an example.
Q: Is it true that I can change the map icons on my dealer locator?
Yes it's true.Just point the URL for the "mapIcon" hidden input tag to your icon's location. The map icon library has some icons you can use named compass2,gif, and compass3.gif (e.g. http://www.freedealerlocator.com/images/compass2.gif). Here's the code you need to change:
Q: Can you customize the dealer locator to meet my needs?
You bet! Just contact us here. Our rates for custom programming are reasonable.
Q: How do I upgrade my membership?
Just contact us here. We can adjust any membership to meet your needs.
If you have a question please contact us here.